Automation testing has revolutionized the testing scenario of the software industry, and the Selenium test automation approach is considered one of the most sought in automated testing approaches. Here, this blog will focus to provide a quick understanding of the Selenium framework, Selenium with Java, Selenium with Python, and the shifting of automated testing Selenium from Java to Python. You can check out this case-study on the rapid development of an efficient Connector Engine for KPIs generation.
What is Selenium framework?
Selenium is a powerful programming framework intended to automate the test which is accomplished for interacting with web browsers. It is an open-source tool and does not require any licensing cost to practice. It is primarily used for writing scripts, clicking on buttons, or writing information into fields which may lead users to click on Selenium users’ websites, thereby testing site functionality much faster than one can perform by hand.
Some other noteworthy factors for Selenium’s popularity are:
1. Selenium can be used on platforms like Windows, Linux, Macintosh, and Solarix.
2. Selenium test automation framework can be done with a wide array of programming languages like Python, Java, C#, Ruby, etc.
3. It is easy to use. One does not require prior programming language experience. The UI of the tool is very easy to understand for instance, “click of a button” and “type words in any
of the field boxes”.
4. The Selenium tool has a large and active user community that offers prompt technical support at no cost.
5. It does not promote writing testing scripts as it accomplishes with easy navigation tools that can write test cases without any script.
Since now you’ve understood that Selenium is a worthy robust tool for conducting test automation on several programming languages. But there is a healthy competition between Java and Python.
Here in this blog, we shall discuss in detail the paradigm shift in automated testing with Selenium from Java to Python.
What are the advantages of using Selenium automation testing with Java?
Here’s why you can choose Selenium automation testing with Java.
1. Integrating Java with Selenium automating testing becomes easier as Java is a widely used and accepted programming language in comparison to others.
2. Java has big community support so, with the help of it, testers can write test cases easily.
3. The execution of testing can be more agile as the programs written in Java are faster.
Why Selenium automation testing with Python is the best?
Python is a high-level object-oriented and user-friendly scripting language. It has a huge number of users all over the world. It has fewer syntax complications than any other programming language. Selenium automation testing with Python can be the best decision ever.
It has many advantages of using Python over Java for Selenium testing.
1. Python is an easy and a productive language than Java.
2. Selenium helps the API used in Python connecting to the browser. The junction of Python and Selenium offers an easy API to write functional tests by utilizing Selenium WebDriver in a perceptive way.
3. Python is supported by Windows, Linux, and Mac, etc. This indicates that it has a very gentle learning curve, thus helping in writing Selenium automation scripts.
4. PyTest is the most preferred framework for automation testing with Python. It is used for unit testing, integration testing, and end-to-end testing like other Python frameworks. It is enriched with more features that support parameterized testing. The plugin extended with the PyTest framework also helps in parallel testing, etc.
5. Python is very simple and runs very fast as compared to Java.
6. Python codes are very clear and readable with the use of the Python syntax command.
7. The libraries of Python are rich standards that help the testers in writing efficient automation scripts for the test automation suite.
Java vs. Python Selenium automation testing: Which one is recommended?
Well, if given an option to choose out of Java or Python programming language for Selenium automation testing, undoubtedly Python will win. Selenium is a highly extensive and strong programming framework. It is used to automate web application testing irrespective of the technology. Python can be the best fit for Selenium automation testing because of its ease to set up. It is because of its simple programming syntax; the start-ups and medium-sized enterprises mostly prefer Python to Java. Python helps to write the Selenium scripts in a much easier way in
comparison to Java. Apart from this, PyTest, a Python Selenium framework makes it a perfect choice to leverage the development of complex functional tests.
So now you know that Python is the undisputed king of Selenium automation testing, kickstart your testing journey with the Python Selenium automation framework conclusively. Also, here’s another intuitive read on Python.